Friday, August 14, 2009

Event Planning-triumphs and tribulations

Love sports? Check! Love going to events? Check! Love keeping busy? Check! Funny how I love all these things and yet I am unemployed. Until recently I was wondering what I was going to do with all my pent up boredom, besides hiking, biking, triathlons, rock climbing, yoga, disc golf and teaching boot camps (no really I have been bored).
I finally figured out a different outlet for all my boredom. Event planning. I have always loved making things come to life. I really enjoy the whole start to finish process, seeing all your hard work come to fruition. There is just something really gratifying about seeing all your hard work being enjoyed by many people. For these reasons I recently decided to plan a fitness fair. I want to combine my love of fitness with my love of planning things. I have started the long and in depth process of getting a venue, getting sponsors, donations, banners, flayer's, teachers, vendors and much more.
So far everything has come together like a kids jig saw puzzle. Until recently everything was running smooth. I knew there was bound to be a few wrenches thrown my direction and I am learning how to deal with them in an appropriate and rational manner. I have the tendency to be a raging bull in a fully stocked china shop.

With less than 3 weeks to go, I have managed to secure a location, donations for a charity auction benefiting a friend with cancer, banners, flyer's even cook books and calenders for sale. We have added classes and figured out class times, we know who is going to teach what and who wants to teach what. All this is being done for free. No one is getting paid for their time or services and it will benefit all involved in the long run, personally and professionally. Now I understand the opposition coming my direction, people are scared to have something with out an assurance that people are going to show up, however by choosing to do this at one of the busiest times in town, and with another event going one at the same time, on the same weekend, I truly believe that this will be far more successful than anyone knows.

There is tons of free press being circulated and not just in my town, all over Colorado. Everyone that has heard of what I am putting on thinks it's a wonderful idea and is more than willing to help publicise it. Now please, after reading this, explain why people who are involved has reservations about it.

I personally love the idea and am in full support and wouldn't be putting all my time and effort into something that I didn't believe was such a great cause and idea. We are offering free half hour classes throughout the day: Boot Camp, Personal training sessions, zumba, pilates, massage therapy, spin class, step class, ask a trainer booth, physical therapy, free food, raffle tickets for $2 with some pretty awesome prizes up for grabs, and a BBQ open to all participants. To me this sounds like way more fun than watching sheep tossing-men in kilts.

But enough of that. I just want to see all the hard work and effort pay off. I guess that's why I am a personal trainer and so dedicated to fitness. It just seems like a natural progression. As always I am open to ideas, suggestions or comments. I welcome anyone to join me and share in what I am working to hard to put together.

1 comment:

  1. "There is just something really gratifying about seeing all your hard work being enjoyed by many people." Whether it's one or many people, I couldn't agree with you more.

    I hope your hard work pays off. I think that whenever our hearts are in the right place, which yours appears to be, it somehow always does. :)

    ReplyDelete